From:
"K. Kohlhoff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:39:45 -0700
Hello Listers,

We have a silk wall hanging that has been framed under glass for decades and exhibited in a historic house setting.  Later this year it will be removed from its location in the house and placed on exhibit in one of our museum galleries.  Prior to its relocation it will be reframed as the style and appearance of the current frame have been deemed inappropriate.  I am trying to determine if it is safe to replace the glass with Plexiglas during the reframing process.  So far I have not found much helpful information out there on whether silk is affected by static electricity.  The wall hanging is around 110 years old but appears to be in good condition.  There does not seem to be any matting between the glass and the silk, and it is impossible to tell just by looking if the silk is by this point stuck to the glass.  Would anyone have any recommendations about this or know of any resources I might consult?

Regards,

Kari R. Kohlhoff
Curator of Collections
Siouxland Heritage Museums