From:
Jill Brush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:18:53 -0500
I guess I have to politely disagree with Lori (or perhaps with Jane Glazer et al).  I would not underestimate a MA degree in Museum Studies.  However, I think it depends on what you do.  If  you are looking to be in collections management, registration and often curation, you will need to know the nitty gritty of what to do in a museum according to professional museum standards.  Your position may not be as dependent on your knowledge of a particular discipline (like history, american studies, anthropology, etc.).

I decided to to get an MA in anthropology  on top of my MA in Museum Studies.  However, that was not because I was feeling pressure from the field to do so.  I felt (at the time I was finishing my MA in Anthropology) that a more traditional "academic degree" would put me in line for more opportunities to teach or pursue a Ph.D in the future.

Sincerely,

Jill Brush
BA Beloit College (Anthropology/ Museum Studies)
MA University of Kansas (Museum Studies)
MA University of Kansas (Socio-cultural Anthropology)

Jill Brush
Curator
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka, Kansas  66615-1099
Phone: 785.272.8681  x 425
Fax: 785.272.8682

>>> Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]> 07/11/01 04:50PM >>>
Julie,

When deciding on my graduate course of study, I found a book called Museums:
A Place to Work, Planning Museum Careers.  It is by Jane R. Glaser with
Artemis A. Zenetou.  I got it from the AAM bookstore (online at the
website).   Chapter 8 discusses "Training and preparation" and states: "Many
of the best programs offer master's degrees in a discipline with a
certificate in Museum Studies."  Later in the chapter the author(s) state
that "Programs (Museum Studies) may be oriented toward history, the
sciences, anthropology or art, for example, or they may have important
strengths in such work areas as curatorship, museum education, or
management".

What I gathered from my reading this and other sources is that an MA/MS in a
discipline is still preferred in most situations over a Masters in Museum
Studies.  Many people who already have masters or PhD.'s are going back for
the specialized training in a Museum Studies Certificate Program.  Lots of
us are seeking the certificate in conjunction with a MA in a discipline.  My
certificate program is a joint offering by the departments of History, Art
History and Anthropology.  It is geared towards the study of Museology with
courses in curatorship, principles and practices, visitor services,
education, management, etc.  My MA  will be in in History. It is a 2 year
program (if you go full time).  Most people are working in my program and so
it takes about 3 years to complete.

According to the above mentioned book, Museum Studies programs have been
around since the 1920's, but I had not heard of them either until I started
my research (so don't feel alone).  Plus, I don't think they were generally
accepted as valid courses of study until just recently.  Ironically, I used
to work at a non-profit gallery in which the director had a Masters in
Museum Studies from UC-Berkley and she was in her 40's or 50's then (10
years ago), but I didn't even remember this until I was accepted.

By the way, my program is at the University of Missouri - St. Louis
(http://www.UMSL)  Hope this info helps.

Best of Luck,

Lori Allen,
Graduate Student, UMSL