From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:57:06 -0700
This should probably be a companion piece to the one I
just posted.  It, too, is a repeat from an earlier
time, but is still probably a good message for the new
folks who may have missed it:

I'd like to tackle this one from a different approach.
Those of you who have indicated you have had
difficulty in finding a job in the museums field may
want to take note of the words of wisdom I'm offering
here.

First, I am going to assume that each and every one of
you are truly qualified.  That each of you has taken
all the requisite courses and have all the talents
necessary to work in the museums field.  You have
prepared and poured much hard work into this aspect of
gaining employment.

What have you done, however, to work on your
job-hunting skills?

How "together" is your resume?

How "appropriately" did you dress for success?  Did
you visit the museum in advance and quietly observe
staff when they weren't looking to ensure you don't
dress too far up or too far down for the job?

Most of all, how are your interview skills?

Do you start with a firm and confident handshake, or
do you come across as a real limp fish, lacking in
self-confidence and it shows?

Do you listen to the questions or scenarios being
posited to you, or are you so nervous that you jump in
with answers to questions that aren't asked and miss
the answers to the question you were asked?

Do you offer too much or too little information?

Could it be that you're simply not as prepared for the
interview as you could/should be?

Have you ever done practice interviews that are
videotaped so that you can see how you actually come
across?

If not, why not?  If you look around in your
community, or on the internet, you may well be able to
find a class at a nominal cost you can attend that
teaches you the fine art of interviewing, and just
like a great masterpiece, effective interviewing is an
art.

Believe it or not, interviewing skills are as
important as that pedigree you're carrying and the
resume you paid someone else to do for you (LOL).

I believe that competition is stiff in the employment
field.  I am less inclined to believe that it is
harder to get into such a field if you have worked on
your people and interview skills than it is in any
other field where there are more candidates for
employment than there are actually jobs.

Take a moment, as well, to consider interviewing from
the perspective of the employer.

Someone has left or is leaving.  Everyone else already
has too much to do and now has to take on some part of
that departing person's responsiblities.  The public
is still coming to the museum, there are school
children to be accommodated, the director wants to add
a new exhibit with a too-short deadline, a coworker
wants them to hire a friend they know is not a match
for the position, there's a report due to the
development department by 5 o'clock that is critical
for a grant application, and oh, by the way, they're
having friends over for dinner on the weekend, their
child just called saying their dog got out, and they
need to go to the dentist.

And now YOU?

Interviewing is no more fun for the hiring supervisor
than it is for you.  In many ways, it's a form of
courting ritual.  It can be a great date, and it can
be a good lord, did I really give this person my
number, and I hope they never call me again kind of
thing.

Finally, it behooves you to know what questions can
and cannot be asked in the interviewing process.  This
is important for both the interviewer and interviewee.

One of the places you may find those questions is
either in one of the classes that will prep you for
interviewing, or you may have some success by looking
at the EEOC web site (http://www.eeoc.gov).  However,
you'll have to dig them out.

Far too many overlook the critical skills necessary it
takes to be a part of a successful interview.  I
encourage you to do what you can to make sure that's
NOT you.

Good luck!

=====
Indigo Nights