From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 05:23:16 PST
I used telnet to connect to my email account (a vax account) from my
mom's computer and Netscape software.  To get to my email from anyplace
other than my workplace, I had to dial into the work computer system on
my home computer.  I was directly connected to my work computer and was
basically just a dumb terminal instead of a home personal computer.  But
at my mom's house or anywhere where I could get on Netscape or some
other World Wide Web browser, I can't dial into my work computer
directly, but I can use the Telnet to access my work computer.
Similarly, I could access my school vax email vax account in Texas from
my mom's computer in Pennsylvania.

I hope this helps.  My guess is that you probably do not need to use the
Telnet.  I don't think that most people do need to use it anymore with
email addresses being web based rather than vax or some other non-world
wide web based accounts.

>Hi Museum-L-ers and ISEN-ASTC-ers
>I've been going through a tutorial on internet (Patrick Crispen's
Internet