From:
Lois Brynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:41:40 -0400
Professional Development/Program Materials

Howdy,

I have been working with a small, quite fine, educational publisher,
Kendall/Hunt on some video and teacher microcosmic-Gaia materials
developed with the marvelous Lynn Margulis.

We developed the quite amazing microscopy footage initially for a Museum
exhibit. The published materials, however, are for teachers to use in their
classrooms.

I spoke with the publisher about what I have perceived over the years as
resources and needs of the museum community: essentially that many large
and smallscience, natural history, environmental and art museums
        - develop/produce many fine programs that deserve dissemination
                to their colleagues in useable forms
        - museums/nature centers are under increasing pressure, pleasant though
                it may be, to serve the professional development needs of
                 regionalteachers and could use materials that recognize the
                nature of the museum milieu and hands-on, inquiry based blah
                blah needs of the formal education sector

I would very much appreciate your input on my rather anecdotal analysis.
Do many of you do teacher workshops/professional development in service
and/or preservice?  Do you have needs for materials and programs to serve
this constituency?  Have you developed materials program BOTH for this
sector and for your general audiences that you think would be grand to share
with other museums/schools? Would you have any interest in a consortia to
cooperatively develop and share materials.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

PS... I have your thank-you present Anita! ...a signed copy of
        Lynn Margulis and Dorion Sagan new bookWHAT IS LIFE.
        I will pop it in the mail this weekend. It is grand.

Lois

Lois Brynes
Deep-Time Associates

Lois