From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:19:22 +0100
The present Museum-L discussion on MA degrees and certificate vs. diplome
brings in mind the latest issue of Museums Journal (Febr. 1996). This issue
contains an interesting article on museum studies programmes in the UK  and
the huge oversupply of museum and heritage courses ('The great skill
overkill'). One of the items discussed is the necessity of validation. From
my observations I learned that it is very difficult to judge the level of a
course. The number of credit hours is a doubtful criterion. For example, our
undergraduate course (4 years full-time) takes 4 x 1680 = 6720 hours (real
hours = 168 credits ?). Our master's course (1,5 year full-time) takes 2400
hours (= 60 credits ?). How to compare this with the 18/30 credit hours of
the Arizona State University? I think there is a need of comparable
standards. It will be an important task of the ICOM International Committee
of Training of Museum Personel (ICTOP) to develop a workable approach.

Peter van Mensch
lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
Reinwardt Academy
(= Faculty of Museology of the Amsterdam School for the Arts)

>>>    Ok, I have another question. In info I've recevied from
>>> universities some say a MA in museum studies and other a certificate.
>>> What is the difference?
>>>     Amy Johnson

>At Arizona State University, where I was briefly in the Museum Studies
>Certificate program, the M.A. was a 30 plus credit hour program and the
>certificate was only 18 hours.  It was not necessary to have a master's
>prior to taking this program, but it was considered best to combine the
>certificate with another M.A., such as in Art History (this particular
>Museum Studies program was in the Dept. of Anthropology).  Sometimes I
>wonder if I made the wrong choice in dumping the program at ASU...any
>feedback?

Peter van Mensch
lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
Reinwardt Academie
Dapperstraat 315
1093 BS Amsterdam

e-mail [log in to unmask]