From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:23:54 -0600
Elizabeth-
One such reason that jumps to my mind are artifacts that present a danger to
the staff or other objects such as explosives, tear gas, perhaps ammunition,
items containing toxic chemicals, and items that are very deteriorated or
are infested with pests.  Also, objects that are in poor condition, are
outside of you ability to care for or house them (i.e. too large like
planes, cars, etc.), that duplicate already existing collections, or objects
that are illegal for your organization to own without the proper licenses or
permits are things you would want to refuse.

As for your other question, you want to avoid taking objects that you must
exhibit.  As for selling... there are two answers. Yes, it is best to not
accept objects with conditions like you are not allowed to sell them, but it
you are taking it to immediately liquidate it, you can accept it as a
non-related gift for the purpose of selling it to benefit the museum.  If
you do that however, you must make sure you do not accession it and all
paperwork clearly states that it is being acquired for the expressed purpose
of selling it.   If you are wanting to accept a gift, accession for a time
and then sell it, you are trending on very thin ice both legally and
ethically.

Remember, you are NOT required to accept everything someone offers.  In
fact, you really don't want to.  Create a Collections Plan that includes a
good scope that not only explains what you collect but more importantly what
you do not.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager