From:
Karen Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:38:49 CST
On Oct. 23, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Marsha-
>
> It sounds to me like you've pretty much talked yourself into on-
> site storage, and I think you're right.  I agree with all of the
> reasons you stated.  Having started with an off-site storage
> nightmare and finally being able to bring all our collections
> under one roof, I can vouch for the advantages for on-site storage.
>
> It is much easier to control the storage environment and keep track
> of each artifact.  Collection management requires constant vigilance
> and with off-site storage, you're working against human nature: the
> old adage "out of site, out of mind" becomes a significant negative
> factor.  It is true that building, or retrofitting, storage areas
> to meet current conservation standards is expensive, but renting
> them would be even more expensive and you're basically throwing
> that money down the drain.  If building climate-controled storage
> is not an immediate option, it would still be better to have your
> collections stored under less than ideal conditions where you can
> keep a close eye on them rather than in some warehouse across town.
>

> Amy A. Douglass
> Tempe Historical Museum

I have to agree. Also, I seem to be plagued with a mental hierarchy
that places less importance on collection items the further away they
are. My logical mind tells me this is not true, but when it comes to
priorities, the on-site materials usually win.
Karen W. Anderson, Registrar
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
WTAMU Box 967
Canyon, TX 79016 USA