From:
Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:00:51 -0600
I think that the argument could be made that staff are stewards of the collection and that you have a responsibility to care for the collections in the interest of preservation and education.  Having objects in his home or office do not provide the best care and allow for the further deterioration of objects entrusted in your care.

Further, it could be argued that this is a conflict of interest.  The AASLH Statement of Professional Ethics states: "All governing authority members, administrators, volunteers, and staff members shall avoid carefully the reality and the appearance of using their positions or the information and access gained from their positions for personal gain."  Using collections as decorations is, if not in reality, certainly in appearance, to be using them for personal gain,  i.e. prestige,etc.

And the clincher, also from AASLH: "Collections shall not be made available to any individual on any basis for personal use, either on or off the premises, or for any other purpose contrary to the adopted collections policies."

And of course, if you don't have an ethics statement or collections policy, now is obviously the time to get started. :))

Erin Quinn
Collections Coordinator
City of Greeley Museums
www.greeleymuseums.com
(970) 350-9218

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/18/03 08:21AM >>>
The University with which we are affiliated has a new President who would like to decorate his office (and possibly his home) with works from the collection. Our practice has always been to refuse such requests.  Are there any official published guidelines - AAM or ACUMG - we can quote in support of our position?

Bonni-Dara Michaels
Collections Curator
Yeshiva University Museum
15 West 16th Street