From:
Sheila Kulkarni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:57:53 -0000
        "furniture, etc using the Revised Nomenclature.  But then the social
themes
        are ignored. For example, when tool comes up on the database I want
it to be
        assosciated with social-economic,etc topics like labour, artisans,
etc. So I
        was thinking about using two cataloguing methods.The Function one
would be
        the primary system and then using another system to classify the
social
        implications such as does the Social History and Industrial
Classification
        (SHIC) system. This system is from England maybe you have some input
on it,
like how good it is etc? Do you have any other suggestions?"

Dear Violet,

Although this is not my area any more, I spent 3 years cataloguing
photographic images, so this might be of use to you.  The first form of
reference was the inventory number.  The second was a field was a title
field ( the name of the object)., The third was a subject category e.g.
under textile we had textile - costume fashion, textile -  costume folk,
textile other.

The fourth was a physical description of the slide image using words that
might be most commonly used for a search.  It was possible to search for a
slide under any of these fields.  The slides were then catalogued by an
automatic generated number from 1 - whatever and each computer genereated
number was written on the slide and the slides were stored in numerical
order.  This meant that when I conducted a search be it a word search, theme
search or title, all I had to do was look at the number and easily retreive
the  slide.  This system has worked for 20,000 images.

I think the best think to do is to sit down and think of all the possible
categories and themes that would be necessary for your collection, leaving
an option to add in further categories.  You will also need to be very
consistent in how you describe the image.

If you would like some more information, please feel free to contact me of
the list.

Best Wishes.

Sheila Kulkarni