From:
Cathy Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 08:26:17 -0800
 Susan Patterson at the Saint Louis Art Museum recently inquired about
the role of guards in the visitor services realm.  While their primary
function may be the security of the objects, the building, and the people,
often the only personal contact a visitor may have with museum
personnel is via a member of the security staff.  The role they play in
"setting a tone" is vital.

The uniform of our security officers (a term that our security department
prefers to "guards") consists of grey slacks, white shirt, burgundy tie,
and navy blue jacket (a huge improvement over the previous incarnation
which was forest green slacks and jacket).  It's still a uniform, but not as
off-putting as anything that looks too martial.

We have a standing committee, consisting of key people from the
security, education, and public information departments, that meets
quarterly to discuss visitor services issues and brainstorm solutions to
new and longstanding problems.  The people who supervise the docent
and volunteer groups attend.  Additional staff may be invited to a meeting
if an agenda item specifically touches on their area.  We talk about both
systemic problems and concerns, and more fleeting events and issues.
Suggestions and solutions are taken back and incorporated as
appropriate, sometimes into training for the security officers, as well as
the docents and volunteers.

Our security officers aren't expected to talk about the art, although they
get their fair share of questions (they're standing there after all!).   Their
visitor services function is perhaps somewhat subsidiary to their primary
purpose - security and safety - but it's up there as a priority (and
obviously, some people will always be much better at this than others).
When we hire people with a more traditional "security" background, it
always takes a while for them to adapt to a more visitor-friendly
atmosphere.

Susan - good luck with the project - it's a issue worth grappling with.

Catherine Klose
Public Info. Assoc., Events & Visitor Services
The J. Paul Getty Museum
(310) 230-7069