From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:36:43 -0400
At 10:41 AM 8/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Ross (and others)
>
>I agree that many cultural and historic organizations have the ability
>within their immediate means to get something on the web, and they
>should take advantage of that. At the same time, I think you may not
>be in the majority. I was mentioning to John though that there are an
>awful lot of sites out there that aren't updated (for months or
>longer) and that in these cases, maybe it would be better to have no
>presence than an ineffective, outdated one (subjective and unpopular
>perhaps, but not an unreasonable point).

Well true, if one has a website, one should take the time to update it.

But these days, many cities have websites of their own with local
attraction and historical sites.  It's not that hard to create an
appealing, neat webpage that says a bit about the museum or site with
directions and contact information it.  Not every museum needs a fancy,
multilayered website like major museums have.  A nicely designed one to two
page website with general information and contact info can do wonders and
it doesn't need to be updated that often.  With web technology being as
available and cheap as it is today (one can even do work on the latest
versions of Word, ClarisWorks and WP), surely someone in the museum or a
volunteer can design the site and get it put on the city's net.  Or it
would even make a nice project for middle or HS kids since a lot of states
now have technology objectives which include designing webpages.  They
would also have the equipment to do scanning and some of the fancier
graphics if required.

Deb Fuller

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.