From:
Ed Bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 11:58:07 EDT
I agree with Douglas Greenberg's point of view on the NYHistorical Society,
and I want to raise a similar point with with a problem about to happen,
also in NYC.  Recently discussions have gone back and forth over the
disposition of the Guggenheim's art library, which has been closed and
staff summarily dismissed.  When I called the Public Affairs dept. to
inquire about it, I basically got the runaround (the conversation I had
was actually kind of funny however).  ARLIS has issued a formal grievance
against the Museum for its handling of the library, and MoMA has refused
interlibrary loan to it.
Not unrelated, the Museum (after receiving some $20M in donations from
LeFrak and others) has applied for permission from the NY Landmarks Comm to
attach people's names to portions of the building for $$ (in particular,
LeFrak's name to the new tower behind the spiral).

With all of the money coming into the museum as of late, why do they
neglect the library?  A pointless question, I suppose.  No one of
us is going to know the Guggenheim's spending ability.  But
the juxtaposition of events such as these raises questions (and we hear
no answers coming from the Guggenheim) of this sort.

My own opinion (for what it's worth) is that the Guggenheim is in the
process of changing its focus from being a museum to being a museum
shop.  :-(
Ed Bridges
American Museum of Natural History
212 769-5277 fax