From:
Steve Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:44:14 -0500
Your story brings to mind the solution to a problem we had when I was
Director of Security for a major midwest museum. At closing, people always
wanted to go to the restroom on the lower level but many waited until the
doors were about to close. Since it cost a great deal to keep guards on while
the only restrooms in the vicinity were re-opened then re-secured and
visitors "hearded" back to the door and the lobby "finally' secured, this was
a problem. No matter how the visitors begged and pleaded and then promised
that they would only be a "second", some would take ten or fifteen minutes to
clear the restroom freshening up and primping once extended the courtesy.

I asked one day how the supervisor managed to solve this old problem and
still let people use the restroom and she told me that she simply told the
visitors that "the dogs were released on the east side of the building" and
that the visitor had until the dogs got to the west side of the building to
vacate or she "could not be responsible for their safety". This brought to
the minds of the visitors visions of dobermans running from one lobby to the
next and motivated them to expedite their business in the rest room.

After that, I decided that there were things I really didn't need to know. .