From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:49:50 -0400
Well, let's put it this way...we had "close one," in my estimation, which
interestingly involved veterans!
We had a group of savvy "Red hat Ladies" who read all the fraktur, I think,
and managed to put together the whole odd scenario, but did not ask any
difficult questions...I think those who figured it out just uttered a long,
Seinfeldian "ohhhhhh..." and left it at that.
Few weeks back, however, we had a panel discussion of local vets sponsored
by our Friends group. The theme was "What Patriotism means to Me." (already,
a bit scary for this cowardly curator)  Once again, we were caught unaware
that someone, in this case a WWII vet, might use his opportunity to speak to
air his views on what patriotism DID NOT mean to him -- namely  gay
marriage. (Deb Fuller, when I responded to you earlier I forgot to include
the following) The gay fraktur artist's parents were actually in the
audience, but kept mum until they left the building, when dad was mumbling
"it was okay until he went off on gay marriage." Well, little did our
patriot know, he sat but a few yards from evidence of a gay commitment!
Then, some nut (and I apologize for not being PC, but I'm sorry, a nut he
was) cornered our educator and began railing about gay marriage to her, also
not knowing what the exhibit contained.
Needless to say, though nothing happened, I think I was vindicated in my
worry...as it obviously is an issue in the minds of our "patriots" even if
we escaped having to defend the exhibit or the artist.
One never knows, does one, what to expect from the general public!  What a
wacky bunch!