From:
Star Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 23:04:18 +0200
Dear Sarah Pitzen,

In addition to museums with textile collections (you will be able to find
these in the usual museum directories available in a nearby university
library), some places to turn for advice and bibliographies on the care of
textile fragments would be:

C.I.E.T.A. - Centre International d'Etude des Textile Anciens
34, Rue de la Charité -- 69002, Lyon, France
Fax +33-4-72402512, Attn.: CIETA

ICOM -- http://icom.museum
they have costume and conservation international committees

COSTUME SOCIETY OF AMERICA
P.O. Box 73 -- Earleville, MD 21919
1-800-CSA-9447
410-275-1619
fax 410-275-8936
http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com

TEXTILE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
P.O. Box 70 -- Earleville, MD 21919
410-275-2329
fax 410-275-8936
http://www.textilesociety.org

ABEGG-STIFTUNG (World renowned for textile conservation)
Bern, Switzerland

Perhaps the Acts of my museum's leather restoration seminar also might be of
interest to you, see the publications list on our web site:
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org

Finally, there is a shoe museum, the Bata Museum, in Toronto, Canada, that
might be able to be of help in recommending care of your textiles and shoe
leather.

One of these sources might be able to recommend professionals for the
textile and leather objects, which are so delicate that specialized care
will be necessary.

Best regards,

Star Meyer
home: [log in to unmask]
work: [log in to unmask]
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org
Bagatti Valsecchi Museum -- Milan, Italy