From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:35:53 -0000
Please share with your colleagues.

Eric Siegel
Director, Planning & Program Development
New York Hall of Science
(718) 699-0005 x 317

WRITER/RESEARCHER
AT THE NEW YORK HALL OF SCIENCE

The New York Hall of Science is the City's only hands-on science museum.  We
serve 300,000 visitors each year with innovative exhibitions and education
programs.

We are seeking an excellent Writer/Researcher for the Planning and
Development office.  The job description is below.

The Hall is growing quickly. We are in the planning phase of a $55 million
dollar capital campaign, with over $35 million already pledged.  This will
enable us to add 55,000 square feet of program, exhibition, and support
space.  The Writer/Researcher is integral to this effort as we grow our
development program.

We are extraordinarily successful in raising grant funds. The person we are
seeking will help us build on this success by developing proposals for
grants from the public and private sector.  The attached job description
outlines the responsibilities of this position.  We want to emphasize that
this is an opportunity for growth for a focused and energetic professional
who seeks advancement in the not-for-profit sector.

The Writer/Researcher position is enhanced by excellent working conditions
and a collegial environment that encourages initiative and learning.  The
Hall of Science offers comprehensive benefits including three weeks of paid
vacation; full medical, dental, and vision insurance; pension and retirement
savings.

 JOB DESCRIPTION

TITLE:                  Writer/Researcher

DEPARTMENT:     Planning & Development

REPORTS TO:             Director of Planning & Program Development

DUTIES:

Writing:
· Work with program staff to develop program-related proposals.
· Craft annual base proposals and reports for general operating support,
exhibitions, and education programs
· Create and collect support materials and attachments to enhance proposals
and document our work
· Contact via phone and correspondace with funders

Research:
· Conduct research for Development staff as necessary using electronic,
print, and online resources.
· Lead monthly staff prospect meetings.
· Initiate and track prospect research to Board and colleagues (3-4 times a
year).
· Keep track of research materials.

Administrative:
· Report on all project-related grants.
· Keep project grants calendar.
· Keep base materials folders.
· Keep track of project-related funders in database (Raiser's Edge)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).