From:
jerry symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 13:48:07 +0100
Hi Alanna,

Firstly to say that I work in the UK, so my comments are from a British
perspective, although I am sure my colleagues in the US would echo many of
my sentiments here!

I endorse all of Cindy's comments below. I'd also add a further word of
caution: I work in the not for profit sector and have met too many trustees
who have accepted trusteeships largely because they were flattered to be
asked. Not only are there no "benefits" in the financial sense but there are
responsibilities! In the UK if you become a trustee of the board of a not
for profit organisations that is unincorporated, you can be jointly and
severally be held financially responsible for the debts of the organisation
if the trustees are found to be negligent in their duties! So that's your
house and and all other personal assets on the line! That's why many
charities are incorporated and trustee liability is then limited to a small
amount: the same idea as with shareholder liability for a limited company.
So...if you are thinking of becoming a trustee read the "small print" very
carefully to establish to what extent, if any, you could be held personally
liable for the debts of the organisation you would be a trustee of!

In case that has scared some of you rigid about being museum trustees, I
hasten to add that this is an important and essential role and I know many
museums who could not operate without the governance of unpaid trustees: so
very unlike the commercial world where the Board of Directors of major
corporations are on substantial salaries, dividends, share options, etc.,
etc! Or put it another way: you don't work in museums to get rich :) !

Hope that helps rather than discourages....

Best Wishes,

Jerry Symonds - Senior Internal Auditor, Historic Royal Palaces, Surrey,
England.