From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:02:20 -0400
I have two additions to this interesting discussion. If you want to be agitated skip right to the second one.

Point one, every community is made of a wide variety of people with different thoughts, positions, experiences, etc etc etc. As many people here have stated before the ID/Creationist "side" is made up of many different types of people with beliefs all along a spectrum. I won't address all of these types of people, but I think it is appropriate to draw a distinction between two groups.

1. The group we seem most concerned about here are the vast majoirty of any group, the man/woman /child on the street, and the vast majority of our actual or potential visitors. For whatever reason, and where ever they may fall on the spectrum of belief<->disbelief of evolution or other well established tenets of science, they find something valuable and comforting in their belief and position. I would agree with Josh and many others that we need to be sensitive to these populations, and produce programs that reach out to them while laying out the case for evolution and, more importantly, good science, done well, as best we can with the resources we have. This is our mission.

However, being sensitive to their beliefs and positions, whatever they are, does not mean giving them "equal time," per se. Just because we recognize the socio-economic or psychological roots of much of white rascism, doesn't mean we screen white supremecist films in a Brown v. Board exhibition. We can be ears for positions we would never be the voices for.

Our mission is to provide the best, most constructive environment we can to explore history, science, art, etc with programs "founded on scholarship and marked by intellectual integrity." (From AAM code of Ethics. But then it later states  that "programs promote the public good rather than individual financial gain." so whattya gonna do?)

2. The second group are those political and religious leaders who exploit the beliefs of others for political and/or economic gain, or just to get to see themselves on TV.  These are the people who make repeated public appearances knowingly misrepresenting the scientific record and method to garner political support. (See Bill Frist MD on the topic of sex ed curriculum, a non-evolution topic, but an obvious example. No, Bill you cannot catch HIV from tears. You should know that, you are a doctor for goodness sake!) These are people who stage programs and "debates" with scientists not because they want true dialogue, but because they need another line on their resume to give themselves more legitimacy as "experts" when they confront a local school board or teacher. (or schedule screenings for movies in prestigious museums to gain legitimacy) These are politicians who espouse things they don't believe or understand simply to make points with voters. And these are people who make deliberatively deceptive movies or television shows that quote just enough of the right data to sound like they know what they are talking about, but not enough to truly educate. I have not seen the movie in question so cannot comment. For an example I'll use instead 2004's "What the Bleep Do We Know" which used just enough quantum physics and talking head scientists and mathematicians to make you think it had some grounding in physics when in fact it was a skillfully designed recruitment effort for JZ Knight a woman who channels the ancient spirit Ramtha and her followers. I'd say about half the reviewrs of this moderately financially successful documentary saw through the guise, but half did not.

I've used a lot of non-ID or creationist examples above, because as I see it, this is a problem that is not solely an evolution/creationism issue. There are a lot of people out there who use, misuse, and abuse science. history, and other scholarly endeavors  as a means to gain political power, money and celebrity.  As museums it is our role to help our visitors to be informed consumers of scholarly output  and to competently analyze the claims of anyone when they are in our area of expertise, whether that be a Harvard Scientist, a Discovery Institute Philosopher, The Washington Post, or Fox News Channel.

As a museum educator I work hard to engage those people in group 1 above with sensitivity and understanding based upon sound scholarship. But that doesn't mean I have to cater to, or provide a voice for people or institutions in group 2.

My second point relates to that above. Below is a clip from the online website Worldnet. I provide it as an example of group 2 above. I have no deep knowledge of this group, but judging from the ads (links kept, alas no images) it is a fairly conservative group with a specific political agenda. I read these articles because it gives me information to engage people in group 1. However, I feel no compunction to engage the author or editor in direct debate for the sake of balance or dialogue.

Enjoy (?)

Matthew White

Smithsonian backs off
intelligent design film
Museum pulls sponsorship
after Darwinists pressure

5:15 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A campaign to convince the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural
History to renege on its agreement to premier "The Privileged
Planet," a film produced by the Discovery Institute, a major
"intelligent design" think tank, may have backfired.

Last month, the Discovery Institute announced it would be premiering
its new film, "The Privileged Planet," with the Smithsonian's co-
sponsorship at the National Museum of Natural History's Baird
Auditorium. The film, based on a book by intelligent design scientist
Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez and Discovery Institute vice president Dr. Jay
W. Richards, "focuses on cosmology and astronomy and on Earth's place
in the universe."

Under pressure, the museum has now withdrawn its sponsorship, but the
film will still be shown on June 23 – and the Discovery Institute is
$16,000 richer for it.

Smithsonian rules for use of the auditorium require the museum to be
listed as a co-sponsor for such showings and a "donation" for use of
the facility. After submitting its film for review and receiving
approval from the museum, Discovery Institute donated $16,000 and
sent out invitations for the private showing per the Smithsonian's
instructions: "The Director of the National Museum of Natural History
and Discovery Institute are happy to announce the national premiere
and private evening reception for 'The Privileged Planet: The Search
for Purpose in the Universe.'"

That's when the Darwinists began complaining.

Ads by Goooooogle
Creation
Did God Create in 6 Days? Consider literal and non-literal views.
www.TolleLegePress.com
Proof of Creationism
Science authenticating Bible detail Live chat and discussion boards.
proofofcreationism.com
Evolution vs. Creation
Where Did the Universe Come From? New Angle on a Tired Old Debate
Evolution.CelestialMechanic.com
Creation in Genesis
Science and Genesis reconciled? Reading Genesis One has answers.
www.creationingenesis.com
Pro-evolution websites and bloggers urged readers to make protest
calls and send emails in an organized response to the film's showing.

The Washington Post chastised the Smithsonian, writing that the
museum should have been wary of the film simply because the Discovery
Institute finds Darwinism an unsatisfactory explanation for much of
the scientific evidence for origins.

"While 'The Privileged Planet' is an extremely sophisticated
religious film, it is a religious film nevertheless. It uses
scientific information – the apparently 'perfect' position of Earth
in its orbit and in its galaxy, the uniqueness of its atmosphere – to
answer, affirmatively, the philosophical question of whether life on
Earth was part of a grand design, and not just the result of chance
and chemistry. Neither God nor evolution is mentioned. Nevertheless,
the film is consistent with the Discovery Institute's general aim,
which is to drive a wedge into the scientific consensus about the
origins of life and the universe and to give a patina of scientific
credibility to the idea of an intelligent creator. ... The museum was
naive or negligent not to recognize this, and more naive not to
anticipate the backlash."

In the blogosphere, one of the chief antagonists to the Smithsonian
decision was James Randi – "the Amazing Randi" – magician and long-
time debunker of physic and paranormal claims.

In his May 27 weekly newsletter, Randi alerted his readers that the
Discovery Institute had been granted access and encouraged them to
lobby for the film to be dropped, even making his own financial
counter-offer:

"Readers, do something about this. Please send an e-mail to
[log in to unmask] addressed to Mr. Randall Kremer, Public Affairs. Tell
him of your concern over this situation. And, you might add that the
James Randi Educational Foundation(JREF) is willing to donate $20,000
to the Smithsonian Institution if they agree to give back the
'Discovery Institute' $16,000 and decline to sponsor the showing of
the film. And the JREF will not require the Smithsonian to run any
films or propaganda that favor our point of view ... We need to be
alarmed and militant about this situation."

Apparently the outpouring of complaints alarmed the Smithsonian as well.

Randi, in his June 3 newsletter told readers: "I must tell you that
the dedicated Director of the Smithsonian Institution, Dr. Christian
Semper, was quick to contact me and express his sincere concern on
this matter, and he immediately set about looking into all the facts
that were available."

Semper issued a statement last Wednesday announcing the Smithsonian's
withdrawal from the premiere after what Lucy Dorrick, Associate
Director for Development and Special Events, called "an internal
review." She wrote to the Discovery Institute:

"As you know, the National Museum of Natural History recently
approved your request to hold a private, invitation-only screening
and reception at the Museum on June 23 for the film, 'The Privileged
Planet.' Upon further review, the Museum has determined that the
content of the film is not consistent with the mission of the
Smithsonian Institution's scientific research. Due to this fact, we
will, of course, honor the commitment made to provide space for the
event to the Discovery Institute, but the museum will not participate
or accept a donation for the event.

"Obviously, our two organizations are very different
programmatically," Ms. Dorrick informed Discovery in a followup
telephone call.

"The major problem with the film is the wrap-up," Randall Kremer, a
museum spokesman told the New York Times. "It takes a philosophical
bent rather than a clear statement of the science, and that's where
we part ways with them."

Discovery Institute's Jonathan Witt countered the Smithsonian's
concern over the film's "philosophical bent" by noting that the
Smithsonian had sponsored "Cosmos Revisited: A Series Presented in
the Memory of Carl Sagan" in 1997.

"Sagan's 'Cosmos' series," notes Witt, "is famous for its opening
dictum, 'The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be.'
Why didn't the Smithsonian have a problem promoting this little
philosophical flourish? ... The Smithsonian has been given over,
lock, stock, and barrel, to Sagan's metaphysical vision for decades.
The one difference now is that they're explicitly stating that not
only do they privilege Sagan's materialist metaphysic, they will
block any scientific argument that suggests a contrary conclusion.