From:
Michael Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:03:45 -0500
I don't know about the life span of monofilament line in an exhibit context but I do know that most people who fish regularly replace their line about once a year.   When fishing you not only expose the line to light but also to friction, that causes the line to abraid, through the
casting and retrieving process. I would worry more about the piece swinging or being touched and this movement causing abraison which could weaken the line and cause a break. Have you contacted the line's manufacture to see if they did uv studies?  A reputable manufacturer should be
able to provide you with information on their product.   I think that a once a year replacement of the line would be a good precaution.  If the piece is not in a case, I would also check the line monthly for signs of abraision.

--
Michael Wright
Curator of Collections