From:
Robyne Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:50:46 -0700
Miami Native, here (and now living in Oregon).

Ringling - went only once as a kid and loved it.  no more to report.

Vizcaya - Amazing, wonderful place!   Back to Vizcaya... a couple great
things about it: the annual Renaissance festival in early March, which is
much more Italian Court than it is your typical SCA fair.   I also remember
going on many school field trips there as a kid, often to their Shakespeare
Festival (not sure if they still do this and/or if this is what it's
called).   Finally: weddings and events!

Living in Miami... I suppose the getting used to it that Emily mentioned
really depends on where you are from.  It is very different than the rest of
the country, a meeting of Europe and South America (and all the plusses and
minuses therein).   It is an extremely materialistic city, and not very old.
The urban sprawl is well, ever-sprawling.  And it's damned hot and humid.
In my life, I've watched the funky, artsy neighborhood of Coconut Grove and
most recently my own quaint neighborhood of South Miami explode into
bastions of commerciality with mammoth sized Virgin Record Stores and Nike
towns.  I even heard from a friend that the Miami City Ballet practice
studio on Lincold Road Mall in South Beach (where passers-by could stop and
watch them in the full glass windows) in now a Victoria's Secret.

But Miami is beautiful and chic, all sleek lines and sun-drenched color.  I
can see easily it's current allure. It was a fabulous place to grow up...
plenty of sun, beaches, things to do.  But the Miami of my own childhood has
been "developed" in many ways... Whenever I return (and I was just there 2
weeks ago) I always think of that line from Cinema Paradiso, where he tells
Toto when he leaves not to come back for 25, because in 5 years everything
will have changed, but by 25 everything will be the same (I butchered that).
But damn, do I miss good Cuban food!

I could go on and on (maybe I'll write a book).  My love-hate relationship
with Miami will never end, I fear... I can just as easily defend or decry
it, all depending.  Let me know if you'd like to know more.

Robyne
--
PLEASE NOTE:  MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS IS [log in to unmask]