From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 12:35:54 -0400
Beth
If you are in this situation, you make a choice.  Nothing dictates that your jobs must be in geographic proximity to one another besides you and your partner. If you only see potential in the nearby city or where ever your partner's job is, that is your vision. You imposed this restriction on yourself. The job market didn't impose it on you, your graduate school or undergraduate school didn't impose it on you, the profession didn't impose it on you.

[log in to unmask] writes:

> It's my opinion that anyone can get a job in the field if you equip
> yourself properly, present yourself well, and be willing to move.

well, you can equip yourself properly, you can present yourself well, but
moving seems to be the biggest factor here. Yet not all of us are single coming
out of graduate school, and if your wife/husband can find a job now that, lets
face it, is going to pay a hell of a lot more than anything that you'll be
able to make in the museum field, you're planted wherever her/his job is. which
means it could take a REALLY long time to find anything for yourself.

especially when the closest city is Philadelphia, where the (Democratic!)
Mayor brutally cut arts funding --
ALL of the funding they give the Philadelphia Museum of Art
ALL the funding they give the Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia
ALL the funding they give to the Office of Arts and Culture
OVER HALF the funding they give to the Philadelphia Cultural Fund
and a big chunk out of Historic Philadelphia, the African American Museum,
the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program, the Avenue of the Arts and the Philadelphia
Film Office.
go to www.philaculture.org for more info

have a great day ;)
beth