From:
Jessica Ruskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:50:43 -0700
Rachel--some thoughts on the low return rate you are experiencing with
surveys:
If possible, definitely offer an incentive. They do work. Also, the best
return rates I have experienced are when the teacher is asked to fill out
the survey during the museum visit. In other words, don't let them take the
survey home because it will get lost among all the other stuff they have to
do. In general, with take-home surveys, I have had a 25% return rate.

The highest return rates I have experienced are when we have distributed the
surveys at the beginning of the museum program and told teachers that they
would receive a gift when they returned the survey to the museum store. The
gift can be something minimal like a poster or discount coupon for the store
or, like you suggested, a raffle ticket for a free visit.

In my experience, self-addressed and stamped envelopes do not make a
difference when trying to get teachers to return things so don't waste too
much money on stamps. Strike while the iron is hot and get the teachers to
complete the survey on site.
Good luck!
Jessica Ruskin
Education Coordinator
Pretend City
The Children's Museum of Orange County, Inc.
949-553-8790 ext. 105