From:
Tom Oates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:18:00 -0500
It is important to realize that many of the problems you mention are
not necessarily the result of "inappropriate" Internet use.  Many are
sometimes unavoidable, unfortunately.  I have known church-going
grannies to get their computers infested, and helped them.

User savvy is a key issue.  Too many people are taken in by pop-
ups warning them that their computer may be compromised by
viruses, spyware and so forth and offering a solution with a simple
click.  Closing these pop-ups from the task bar is usually the best
option.  A better option is to begin using Firefox, which eliminates
pop-up and also to disable messenger agents and "system
messages."

Many problems also come from email.  Users need to learn not to
open unexpected attachments and generally to stay away from
unfamiliar or unusual looking emails.  Simply reading an email is
safe, but many email programs will automatically open picture
attachments and such.  Configuring email programs to leave
attachments unopened by default is a very good idea.  I am
unaware of Trojans and such that launch without opening an
attachment or following a link.

Rather than coming up with restrictive policies, consider user
education.

I also would include use of legitimate "anti-malware" programs such
as Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, X-
cleaner, CWshredder and BugOff.  Each of these are free programs
and available for safe download.

Unfortunately, the attacks coming in from the Internet are
proliferating too quickly for any one program to keep up, using a
combination of programs is a good, though not fool proof, strategy.
I find running a couple of these each week to be a good idea.  Just
because the one program finds nothing doesn't mean there's not a
problem.

A firewall should be installed on each computer and users trained
also.  Microsoft includes one in it's SP2 update to XP; however,
Zonelabs ZoneAlarm--also free--is probably a better option given
Microsoft's history of security problems.

Note that while there are many people lobbing bombs through the
Internet, there are also many people developing good defensive
tools.  Many of the best of those tools are free.

I have helped many people and organizations with problems of this
sort.  I could easily forward a new message that would include links
to the software that I mention above.  I could also possibly create a
simple web page with links.  Please reply if you think this would be
helpful.