From:
Kristie Rhoback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:42:56 -0500
Hello Amanda,

We have devised a similar system as Anne Lane. I will describe it below and
send pictures to your e-mail account. Feel free to post them in Museum Docs.

We needed an inepensive rolled storage system that would utilize space at
the end of our shelving rows and along walls.  We used materials found at
your local hardware store.  First we had 4 heavy duty metal brackets that
formed the anchors of our unit. These brackets were bolted to the shelving
unit (or wall)forming the 4 outer corners. Into each bracket a threaded hook
was bolted. The hook hung downwards from the top and upwards from the
bottom. Next we hung approx 1" welded link chain from the top hook to the
bottom. Keeping it as taught as possible. Next we cut gavenized pipe to the
width needed for the rolled tube. (Essentially the width between the two
vertical rows of chain)Each pipe had 1 small hole drilled into it at each
end. Through this hole a heavy duty "s" hook was strung. The "S" hook was
was then hooked to the chain link at the desired height and and into the
hole in the galvenized pipe.  Thus it is very easy to adjust the roll
height.  We found this to be a very simple and economical way to deal with
rolled storage.

I will send you pictures shortly.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Kristie Dobbins
Textile Curator
Amherst Museum