From:
John Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:07:06 -0500
I've not read the will, but if the intent was that the foundation would
preserve and present the house & contents as a museum (with or without
charter), they may not be free to sell it. The foundation did operate it
as a historic house museum for 50 years until it became a separate
entity. The foundation and house were so closely bound together it may
not be easy to prove separation.

You raise an interesting point about gifts to a sitting governor, they
may wish they hadn't stirred up that particular pot.