From:
Museum of Railroad History <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:11:46 -0800
Subject:  outreach
Date:  Jan. 6, 1997
From:  Joann Helmich
        CSRM
        Ranger I

I just received a copy of your request for information concerning an
outreach program.  I have been with several outreach programs over my 20
year career as a Ranger.  Two museum programs that I have been involved with
connected to a museum include an outreach program at the State Indian Museum
and here at the California State Railroad Museum.  The success to
maintaining an outreach program is to not rely solely on one person to keep
the program going.  The most successful programs I have seen is docent lead
and maintained with a paid staff person to act as a program lead.  The
program lead would see to the training, evaluation, budget, and recruitment
of the volunteers for the program
Although I by no means consider myself an expert, I have made a lot of
errors over the years.  I am happy to share a few ideas that may or may not
help you.

1. Don't rely on the same persons all the time to do the presentations.
These people will become burned out in no time.  Have multiple people to
rely on.
2.  Don't have the distances traveled too great.
3..  Provide transportation if available.  Reimburse mileage if possible if
a private vehicle is used.
4.  Have a budget for the program.
5.  If you charge for the program, don't get greedy.  Hopefully the outreach
program can work as a PR tool to get visitors to the Museum.  I don't charge
at the present time, but may have to to cover costs.
6.  Know your audience before you show up.  Have one contact person to
arrange for the outreach program.  Have that person get as much information
as possible and have one contact person at the other end.  A home phone
number for teachers is helpful because they are so hard to get a hold of
during school.
7.  Offer your program to private schools as well as public schools.  Don't
forget the scouts and public service groups.
8.  Make sure your presenters like their audience.  Some people just do not
work well with children.
9.  Presenters should have their topic researched and have a good base in
interpretive techniques.
10.  Write thank you notes to the principals of the schools mentioning a
particular teacher or organization heads if the group was interested,
receptive, and/or well prepared.  People, no matter who they are, liked to
be thanked.  Make sure your presenters are recognized on a regular basis.
Encourage the schools to write letters to the presenters too.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop here.  Please contact me if you have
any questions at my office (916) 323-1260

Joann Helmich
Lead Ranger for the Eagle Theatre
California State Railroad Museum