From:
Douglas Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:19:30 -0500
While I wonder whether Development Directors at small NYC museums generally
make $100K USD annually, if that is the case, the Salary Calculator
referred to
indicates that the Manitowoc equivalent is between $37K and $38K.  Working the
other way 'round, the $25K mentioned in the Wisconsin Maritime Museum
recruitment ought to be similar to a $66K salary in the borough of Manhattan.
A World Currency Exchange calculator on the web indicates that same $25K would
be about equal to $47K in New Zealand dollars or about $37K in Canadian
dollars.  Of course, all of that depends on how much stock you put in this
sort
of handy statistical tool that's come with Internet access.

FWIW, Manitowoc is a pleasant small city within a couple of hours of both
Milwaukee and Madison (the state capital) and not that far away from Chicago
either.  The Museum has done a lot with its current facilities and the
Development Director will play an important role in the Museum's ability to
grow further.  I tend to doubt that Dr. Martin is expecting to recruit his new
development professional away from MOMA or even South Street Seaport.  This
would not be a bad position at all for an early career development
professional
who doesn't feel a need to be in New York, London or L.A.

(That's not to say that I feel all or most museum professionals are well paid,
either regionally or globally.)

Just my 2 cents,

Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life
[State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Madison, WI--
views expressed are my own not my employers']