From:
Elizabeth Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:44:26 -0800
For future exhibition purposes, I am doing some research on the subject of
technology and how it has transformed our notion of our body, our identity
as fixed biological units in a single space and in our local community.
How has the internet changed the way we think of ourselves and others as
physical beings?  Is the world attached to our fingers as they move across
the keyboard?  Or are we more isolated than ever? Does BIG BROTHER loom
larger and has the distinction between our public and private selves been
completely blurred? We now communicate in different spaces, at different
times with anonymous world beings. What has been lost in this impersonal
public sphere? Does it effect us physically? Is the real body becoming
replaced by the virtual one, the one that cruises/surfs the internet?

I am interested to know which artists are addressing these questions;
whether there are/will be exhibitions on the subjects; and which
psychiatrists, curators, writers, media-watchers, trend and techno
watchers have been researching technology and its transformative effect on
the body and how we think of the body. Thanks, in advance, for your
suggestions.