From:
"Meeker, Amanda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:58:13 -0700
I have to just add here that there is a skateboard park within 10 blocks of
the museum where I work.  Yet only when the building people installed
physical deterrents did the skateboarders move on to another location.  The
skateboarders loved the smooth benches that run the length of the building,
but their skateboards chipped and blackened the granite.  The building
engineers eventually installed raised strips of granite at intervals, to
break up the smooth surface.   So while it's nice to have a skateboard park,
I don't think that's going to be your total solution.

Amanda Meeker
Erstwhile skateboard enthusiast (19 years ago) and museum employee
(currently)