From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:46:07 -0700
Boy, I could argue this medical records things both
ways.  My strongest instincts are that medical records
of living individuals and/or their descendants are
still around to litigate are probably not such a very
good idea at all.  Unless permissions are granted, you
could joly well be in a bit of a sticky wicket.

You may not be familiar with the Health Insurance
Portability Accountability Act of 1996.  There are
links in the Topics section of my employment website,
but here are a few more.  This could factor into what
you're considering.

http://www.hipaadvisory.com/regs/HIPAAprimer1.htm

WHAT IS HIPAA?
The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act
of 1996 (August 21), Public Law 104-191, which amends
the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986. Also known
as the Kennedy-Kassebaum Act.

More specifically, HIPAA calls for:

1. Standardization of electronic patient health,
administrative and financial data
2. Unique health identifiers for individuals,
employers, health plans and health care providers
3. Security standards protecting the confidentiality
and integrity of "individually identifiable health
information," past, present or future.

The bottom line: sweeping changes in most healthcare
transaction and administrative information systems.

WHO IS AFFECTED? All healthcare organizations. This
includes all health care providers, even 1-physician
offices, health plans, employers, public health
authorities, life insurers, clearinghouses, billing
agencies, information systems vendors, service
organizations, and universities.

http://www.hipaadvisory.com/

http://www.hipaa-iq.com/

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
Check out the REVISED Got Links, your one-stop portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414  Updated 02/14/02