Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:01:40 -0400
You should INDEED check with the police authorities in your area. In Canada,
the recent firearms legislation imposes VERY stringent requirements for the
transport of firearms and a number of other jurisdictions are increasing
their requirements. Please remember that antique weapons (pre1897
manufacture, I believe) are NOT usually defined as firearms, UNLESS
ammunition for them is readily available, which is true in very few
instances. Reproductions of antique firearms defy definition in many
jurisdictions. My experience as a reenactor is that police do not consider
them as firearms, provided that common sense is used in their transport,
i.e., they are transported unloaded, separated from the ammunition and
locked out of sight as in the trunk of a car or approved transportation
container.

For reasons which should be obvious, firearms are not just another form of
artifact. They are all potentially dangerous weapons.

Harry Needham
Canadian War Museum

Museum-L" (without the quotes).