From:
MuseumPods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:19:08 -0400
Katherine,

Like you said...developing traditional cell phone technology is costly and
most museums can not afford to create traditional cell phone audio tours.

However, there are dynamic free alternatives museums can use to develop
audio and video tours used on iPhones, cell phones, and social sites. One of
the main functions of iPhones is the user friendly ability to navigate on
the Internet and interact with media as well as make traditional phone
calls.  Cell phone companies are scrambling to create cell phones with
better dual purposes for interacting on the Internet and making traditional
calls.

Over the next several years the evolution of cell phones, iPhones, PDAs, and
other hand helds is towards Internet interaction and most cell phones will
have the ability to download or listen to streaming media, so the need for
traditional "dial up" cell phone technology diminishes.

So with this in mind, take a look at these social directories of Museum
Media for iPhones and Cell Phones at: http://www.museumpods.com/id360.html
I developed them based on increased Internet access of hand held devices and
social site usage using RSS and Atom technology.  Using RSS and Atom
technology also made it easy to integrate museum blogs for use on iPhones
and cells with Internet connection. You can click on the links to access
much of the media created by museums that is already iPhone and cell phone
ready and see what it looks like on each device.  If you scroll down under
the Museum Media section you will notice about 250 museum blogs are now
iPhone and cell phone enabled.  The platforms are a little different because
iPhones interfaces are not the same as cells.

Basically, when a museum uploads a new audio or video tour podcast or blog
article it automatically uploads to the iPhone and Cell directories. These
directories are social as well as viral, which means along with being iPhone
and cell phone ready they are Social Site widget applications approved by
Facebook and can be used on any social including (MySpace, Bebo, blogs,
websites...)

If you want more info on how to do this just email I have all the technology
set up to make media for iPhones and cell phones and it is all free.  I am
conducting an online Webinar in November on how to do all these things.  I
can send you a link if you want.

Kurt Stuchell