From:
ken lavender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:53:34 -0800
--- Kjirsten Gustavson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Erin-
One of the most important aspects to consider (and
fear) is the migration of acid.  Many older
scrapbooks, including those with photographs, had very
acidic, thick, "poster paper" pages.  Even if you
interleave these with acid-free tissue, the acid will
still migrate to the objects attached to the paper.
If this is the case, preservation-wise it is much
better to separate the attached objects, treat them,
and reattach them with archivally sound techniques to
another acid-free and more "permanent" backing.  An
addition problem, of course, is the method that was
used to adhere the objects to the paper in the first
place.  The binding can still be saved, and the leaves
attached with a post-binding construction.  You really
have to decide what is most important to you and your
collections: to keep the original intact exactly as it
was created (the archivist and bibliographer
perspective) or to recreate it as closely to the
original format as possible but with conservationally
sound techniques (the conservator perspective).  I
have been both a head of special collections and a
conservator, and the conservator has always won out. I
fully understand the importance of the original object
and its cultural context (my teaching and research
specialties), but I figured that those would not
matter if the object had disintegrated in the
meantime.

Prof. Kenneth Lavender
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University