From:
"Wesley S. Creel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:05:53 -0500
Good Afternoon All,
1.     After 47 years of museum studies and museum work, starting in September, 1969,.... I am retiring from my position of Administrator of Programs, Pink Palace Family of Museums (PPFM) www.memphismuseums.org -- a position that I have been in since June 23, 1997.  My last day on the job will be February 3, 2017.  As a result of my retirement, the position of Administrator of Programs will need to be filled in 2017.
The position of Administrator of Programs functions a deputy/associate director, responsible for all museum system experiences and the museum system's collections -- directing the managers of the following eight departments located at five locations:  museum exhibits & graphics; collections; education; 3D giant theater; planetarium; historic properties -- 1836 Magevney House and 1852 Mallory-Neely House; Coon Creek Science Center; and Lichterman Nature Center.
2.     The official position vacancy announcement will be posted on the Museum-L Serve and other electronic listings and the PPFM's website.
3.     Here is the DRAFT revised job description:
20 Oct. 2016									Draft PD 21 Oct 16
Draft Revised Position Description, Administrator of Programs, Pink Palace Family of Museums
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Works under the general direction of the Director of the Pink Palace Family of Museums within the Division of Parks and Neighborhoods to plan, develop, and administer programming for the Memphis Pink Palace Family of Museums. Programming includes the activities of these Pink Palace Family of Museums’ departments: exhibits; collections; education; 3D giant screen theater; Lichterman Nature Center; planetarium; historic properties; and Coon Creek Science Center. Will interview, hire, supervise, evaluate, manage and provide leadership to these departments. Will ensure mission-related, high quality management and team approaches to selecting and developing exhibits, educational programming, films, planetarium shows, and other informal education experiences. Will work closely with marketing, philanthropy, and business teams to support programming. Helps formulate and ensure meeting all Museum programs strategic goals. Works with managers to create and regularly review departmental revenue and expense budget for both City of Memphis funded programs and those funded jointly with the City or solely by the City’s not-for-profit partner in managing the Museum system, Memphis Museums, Inc., (MMI). Presents budget to the Director and others. Plays a major role in drafting capital budgets for either or both the City of Memphis and MMI.  Takes a team leadership role in planning and implementing the Museum system’s Master Plan and capital projects. Serves as a member of the Director’s Management Team. Reviews and directs program content and presentation materials by staff. Represents the Museum System as needed in speeches and presentations to affiliated and external groups. Ensures ongoing evaluation of all educational offerings. Provides assistance and information as needed to the Director of Museums or other staff in fundraising and grant-writing.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:  Requires the ability to operate a computer and automobile. Must have sufficient mobility to perform duties throughout the Museum and various Museum System facilities. Requires effective written and verbal communication.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Majority of work is performed in an office environment with some outdoor work required visiting the various Museum facilities including Lichterman Nature Center, Coon Creek Science Center, and two historic houses. The work involves extensive contact with staff, volunteers, and the public.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:  Master Degree in Sciences, Humanities, Education, Museum Studies or a related discipline and seven (7) years progressively responsible experience in museum programs and/or museum management with five (5) of the seven (7) years in a supervisory capacity, including any combination of experience related to the essential job functions.  Requires excellent management, administrative, organizational, planning, writing, and interpersonal skills.  Understanding of museum functions, operations, and programs desirable.  Must be computer proficient and able to work with volunteers, supporters, and project partners.  Experience with capital improvement projects, especially exhibition design and construction projects very desirable.  Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Tennessee Driver’s License.					END of JD
4.     I will be leaving the Memphis area.  After I retire -- if anyone wants to contact me to discuss a variety of museum issues, please feel free to contact me, using my home e-mail address.....  [log in to unmask]
Best Wishes to all of you!
Wesley
p.s. the PPFM has been blessed with an outstanding director and an outstanding staff.... AND, it has always been fun working here.
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue