From:
Christian Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:16:14 -0500
Hi, David--I'm pretty sure the first exhibition you're referring to was John
Michael Vlach's exhibition on plantation architecture, "Back of the Big House,"
which was accompanied by an edifying and well-illustrated catalogue including
the photographs that were found by some to be objectionable.  Actually reading
the catalogue and exhibition text might have provided a rationale for the
display of these images, but what I've learned from the resulting controversy (I
was living down the street from the LoC at the time) is to hold "sensitivity
workshops" whenever displaying items that might be perceived as offensive.
Dealing with some of the potential issues before they can arise individually
seems to help prevent the proliferation of misconceptions.

All best,
Christian

Christian Carr
Director, Sweet Briar Museum