From:
"Marlisa B. Post" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:36:12 GMT
Mr. Knight,

You wrote:
>         My problem is how do I convince them that it is important to
position
> the museum, either in a tourist area, or at least expose it to passing
> traffic, on a major highway. Does anyone have any horror stories, of
> this attitude causing the downfall of a good museum or similar. Any
> input will be most gratefully accepted.
> Thanks

As advice goes, I do not think I can offer any better than that of Mr.
Wulff.  I can offer this insight.  I work in a small museum in Washington,
DC.  We are not located near The Mall, which is the major tourist center
here, and we are not located near any public transportation.  While we do
have a good number of visitors, overcoming our location can be our greatest
challenge.  It really makes the staff's job more difficult because we must
first make people aware of us and then convince them that it is worth their
while to go out of their way to see us.  Your board needs to understand
that having a wonderful museum does not automatically translate into lots
of visitors.
Best of luck to you,
Marlisa P. Mizerak
Head of Education