From:
Dale Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 16:00:01 -0400
Bill,

Christina Myatt makes several good points in her comments.   Tessa Bridal's
book, published by AltaMira, is a good choice, along with the book by
Catherine Hughes.  In addition you might consider "Case Studies in Museums,
Zoos, and Aquarium Theater" a collection of articles by practitioneers,
published by AAM and IMTAL (International Museum Alliance) several years
ago.    The posting also reminded me of an article I had written several
years ago for "History News" which described how to develop a museum
theatre program with limited resources (and a strong desire for success).
If you contact me off-list, I would be happy to email you a copy.

Good luck in your efforts!

Dale Jones

Institute for Learning Innovation
Annapolis MD 21401
410-268-5149
410-268-2179 (fax)
www.ilinet.org

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:00:56 -0500, Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Many museums have "museum theatre" programs.  These are paid staff who
>create, produce, and present theatrical presentations (storytelling,
>theatrical pieces, first person interpretations, demonstrations, etc)
within
>the museum.
>
>You may look to outside groups but you may not be able to guarantee the
>quality of the product in your exhibit halls.  You may be able to hire in
>performers who will come with good recommendations and quality training.
>You may also look into creating your own (even if small) museum theatre
>program.  Actors may be paid or volunteers, there are plenty of scripts
>available out there, and you can bring in a director.
>
>I would do some research on the different types of programs and offerings
>there are.  Try going to the website for the International Museum Theatre
>Alliance (www.imtal.org).  This organization has members around the globe,
>resources and a message board where you can get some additional help.
>
>A good starting resource would be the book Museum Theatre Communicating
with
>Visitors Through Drama by Catherine Hughes  published by Heinemann.
>
>Tessa Bridal also has a new book out which is a wonderful resource.
>
>You will find many ways that things are done and many different models.
>Some great examples are NJ Aquarium, Museum of Science in Richmond, VA, or
>the Smithsonian.
>
>Good Luck.  Let us know what you decide to do!
>
>Christina
>Christina M. Myatt
>Theatrical Programming Coordinator
>Putnam Museum