From:
Mellon Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:54:46 -0700
Accusations have been made against UC Berkeley's Mellon Foundation Grant
to study the Museum Educational Site Licensing Project, and against the
Principal Investigator of that Grant (Howard Besser).  We are concerned
that erroneous information about our project has continued to spread.  We
would like you to know that, contrary to these charges:

-Our Mellon grant IS (and has been) studying museums
-Howard Besser is NOT "rabidly anti-licensing" nor anti-AMICO, and his
  stand at a debate at the recent College Art Association Meeting was
  pro-Fair Use rather than anti-AMICO

For further details, as well as David Bearman's original accusations,
please see the website we have set up at
    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/research/mellon/Fairuse/

please excuse duplicate messages
Mellon Study of Cost and Use of Images
School of Information Management & Systems
University of California, Berkeley