From:
Dean Krimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:43:54 -0500
Happy New Year Everyone,

To pull this thread in another direction--if I'm using the metaphor
correctly--I recently finished a permanent interpretive signage project at
Westminster Burying Ground, a 19th-century Baltimore cemetery best known as
the final resting place of Edgar Allan Poe. Westminster's last burial took
place in 1943. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in
1982, five years after it and the adjacent church closed. For some 25 years,
the Westminster Preservation Trust, non-profit stewards of the site, has
given guided tours and hosted special Halloween programs. Poe's presence
looms large.

Every year, thousands of people, from history buffs and Poe pilgrims to
passersby and office workers, visit the grounds. Now, they can learn
something about the place and its people through some two dozen heavily
illustrated panels that are mounted on granite bases (designer Chris White's
simple stroke of genius).

Respectful, informed and lively interpretation of everyday surroundings:
that's one way to engage even those people who profess a hatred for History,
meaning of course the names & dates memorization that those of us who love
it never minded.

Dean

Dean Krimmel, Creative Museum Services
Planning for Museums, Historic Sites, Visitor Centers and Cultural
Organizations
423 Range Road  Baltimore, Maryland 21204
[log in to unmask]; 410-746-8350

Affiliated with Qm2: Quality Management to a Higher Power (www.qm2.org)
Visit www.ziggs.com (keyword qm2) to learn more about what we do

Interested in the next generation of museum leadership?
Learn about the Convergence of Museum Talent: www.qm2.org/convergence