From:
Richard Efthim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 1994 12:22:01 EDT
I have been using a "learning to read natural history objects " approach
in our education programs for the last 7 years and in our visitor services
since we opened the Naturalist Center in 1976.  I published an article in
"Science Teacher" magazine in Jan. , 1988 entitled "A Touchable Museum
That Teaches" that highlights the work we have done with school groups.
I would be happy to send copies of the article to anyone who wants one.
You can E-Mail me privately or send me a note via snail-mail at the address
at the bottom.  We have also done numerous workshops around the country
on helping museums and similar resources work together with their area schools
using a "learning to read natural history objects" approach, with great
success.   Evaluations by students doing our school group programs and
the teachers in our workshops reflected about a 95% positive response to this
approach.  Over 65% volunteered comments that said they viewed museums and
museum objects in a different and more positive light.  We are now pursuing
programs to see how that approach can be modified using images, collection
information, etc. for network access for those who can't come to our Center.

Again, I'd be more than happy to provide any additional information you
may need or desire....brochures, curriculum guides, background info, etc.

(obviously it is an philosophy and approach that I have strong feelings
towards!   :-) )

Richard Efthim, Naturalist Center
National Museum of Natural History
Washington, DC 20560
(202)357-1503   fax:(202)786-2778   [log in to unmask]