From:
Sabrina Henneman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:04:54 -0400
I have not been trained as an archivist, though I have taken several
classes and have to care for our archives. My understanding is that each
collection (meaning one donor/source) has its own series, even if
different collections have the same names for their series. I believe
the goal is to keep the archive intact, while sorting it into manageable
series for accessibility, but if you go mixing photographs from one
source in with photographs from another, then the whole point of
original structure and source is invalidated. That is not to say that
all photographs can't be stored in the same location for proper storage
conditions, just that each box, folder, etc. needs to reference its
single source. Also, you can't have volunteers or researchers just
mixing everything up from folder to folder.

Perhaps an archivist could be more clear?

Also, if an archivist has experience with Past Perfect, I am interested
in learning more on how to use the archive database better. It appears
that you have to create a new record for each sublevel of a collection,
and not a way of nesting more detailed information within a single
record. Most of our archive collections are small, so usually a folder
or item level is sufficient and I don't need to sort using many layers.

Sabrina