From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:31:35 -0600
Dear Ms. Gunn,

I hope that things are well in the old toon! I am happy to share how we
approach collections research. In fact, I am presenting a program for the
Texas Association of Museum's annual conference at the end of the month on
how collections research may be done now - utilizing web information.

Collections research is NOT explicitly described in the McFaddin-Ward
House's Collections Policy, but is central to my job description and is
mentioned cursorily in respect to other functions of the department. I have
attached the policy for your information. Thank you for asking the question.
It does indicate that our policy should be updated - not just for research
but for other elements already identified as well.

To identify how research is conducted, here are some guidelines...
1) Curator regularly checks scholarly publications and auctions for period
evidence and specific objects that relate to those in the original
McFaddin-Ward House collection.
2) Curator uses current information to update collections files both in hard
copy and digital files.
3) Curator researches the collection and other period evidence in the
museum's archives to create exhibits. The results are updated in collections
files.
	a) Curator creates furnishing plans for new exhibit
spaces/restorations.
	b) Curator coordinates interns and volunteers to target subjects to
research for regular museum activities and for special projects such as
publications.

Please feel free to contact me for further particulars.

Sincerely,

Ware (StA 00)

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D. - Curator of Collections - McFaddin-Ward House - 725
N. 3rd St. - Beaumont, TX 77701
409-832-1906 - www.mcfaddin-ward.org

"That's Mine! Ciphers and Monograms in the McFaddin-Ward House Reserve
Collection" is on exhibit in the Visitor Center until April 7th.