From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 21:08:27 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>I am interested in hearing from other museum professionals about their
>deaccessioning policies and procedures. I am particularly interested in
>the concept that collections are considered "assets" of a museum, and
>therefore have a monetary value that makes it more difficult to simply
>give artifacts to another institution. I would really like policies and
>procedures examples from other museums/institutions. Please respond to
>museum-l or to me directly.
Under British law, it is more than a concept - collections are indeed
considered 'assets' of the museum.  The example which springs to mind is
the Chatterley Whitfeild Mining Museum, where the collections were sold
to pay creditors.  Another is that Local Authority museums are bound by
the laws governing LA accounting when it comes to objects. If you are
interested, I'll dig out some references.
--
Pat Reynolds