From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:43:52 -0500
Matthew, I don't think the explanation will be simple or innocent.

At a museum or historic site with multiple staff members a single male
visitor should pose no problem for a female staff member.

But imagine the situation as it exists at a number of small historic
sites, sometimes in isolated settings, where the only person on-site is
the female staff person.

Then you are dealing with two issues:  perceived danger or discomfort,
and actual safety issues.

The part that is not simple or innocent is the fear that some women have
- that we probably have all experienced in certain situations. We've
been taught not to go out alone at night, to walk with our keys in our
hands, and to avoid being alone with a stranger.

That leads to the perceived danger or discomfort of being in an isolated
setting with a male stranger.

We have this situation at one of my sites. We deal with it by offering a
portable panic button the staff person can carry that will trigger the
alarm. We also strongly encourage the staff person to listen to her
instincts. All visitors must be admitted through a locked door, and the
staff person knows we will back her up at any time she feels that a
visitor should not be admitted (with a simple "I'm sorry, we're closing
early" through the door.)

We also have a very good relationship with the local police who know the
staffing situation, and enjoy using our parking lot as a location to sit
in the squad car and do their paperwork.

In 20 years we have had only one unusual incident, and it involved a
solo male who started making repeated visits. We believe he was simply a
"history groupie" but it made our staff person very uncomfortable, so we
had another (male) staff member there with her several days, and
politely refused him entry.

Every year we re-visit this staffing situation. I am interested in
hearing other perspectives on this issue.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
Rochester, NY
(585) 546-7029 x12

www.landmarksociety.org

Our mission is to discover, protect, and revitalize the architectural
and related cultural heritage of the Rochester region, and to
educate and inform our community about that heritage.