From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:48:36 -0500
I have had a number of interviews for out of state positions that would have
meant uprooting my family.
These were all positions that I had screened for salary, location and
desirability of position. None of the positions I applied for were for jobs
that I had no interest in. That would have been a waste of my time and a
waste of time for the people doing the hiring. I had become disillusioned
with my prospects in state after numerous rejections for positions I was
well-qualified for. So moving out was something my wife and I both agreed
might be the best thing.
During the interview I expressed my desire and willingness to move and my
reasons why it would be beneficial. If I didn't want to live there, I
wouldn't have applied in the first place. The interview was my chance to see
the area, evaluate it as a potential residence and to see whether the job
met my expectations. More often then not, either the area did not appeal to
me for various reasons, or the job was not going to be a good fit for me or
the site.
If you have concerns about how a move would be perceived, simply explain
your reasons in your cover letter. Let them know that you're serious about a
possible move and why this move would be so beneficial. Let's face it, if
you're going to move, do you really want it to be a short-term commitment?
The next move I make I fully intend to be my last.

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803