From:
Pam Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:23:35 -0500
Greetings all,

I've been updating & compiling a list of regional crate builders and/or
shippers (worldwide) by using the AAM Services directory and by contacting
several colleagues at other institutions,  to find out who they have used to
crate their works for shipment. The list is detailed well enough, but I'm
hoping to make it just a bit more comprehensive.

By and large, it seems most of us use FFAE, USArt, Artex, Hasenkamp for
transit and, in many many cases, for crate construction. For most of us
their services have been quite satisfactory. Now what I am interested in
obtaining is more localized information. If your museum is located outside
of one of the cities the abovementioned company has an office in, do you use
a local contract crater? Who?????? If your staff builds crates in-house, can
s/he accommodate requests by other institutions to crate works not in your
collection (ie., a local collector's)? I realize that's a rarity these days!
If you need assistance with installations, who do you use & can recommend
locally? In my experiece, a recommendation by a colleague is the best way to
choose a crater/handler/shipper for my own task at hand.

I am be happy to compile this info and send it to anyone interested. Please
feel welcome to reply off-list to me at the email address below. Thanks to
all of those great folks who have already supplied me with information.

Pam Richardson
Assistant Registrar
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
7th and Independence Ave SW