From:
"D. Kent Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:31:49 -0400
Well, there's couple of ways to look at it, and let me preface this by
saying that I'm a museum photographer....

If you just want something for low-res screen access, and it will never be
used for anything else, then yes, you can probably get by with a sub $1000
digital camera. Or what they might call a "prosumer" camera. But, if you
need to use it for reproduction, whether in print or through traditional
materials (photo papers etc.), then it's better to stick with a traditional
camera. It's always been my opinion that it's better to shoot an artifact
once, and do it the the right way, rather than just doing a quickie shot and
saying "we'll do a nicer one later on". Too often than not, the time never
comes for a nicer shot...

Regardless of what camera you choose (digital, film), you still need to
worry about lighting. You can try to shoot 1700 paintings with a
point-n-shoot camera, but it will look that way too. You're going to have to
light these paintings, maybe even cross polarize them...If any are behind
glass, or have a heavy patina to them, this will be problematic as well with
available light, or a pop-up flash...

Desktop slide scanners have sort of leveled off in price this past year. A
halfway decent one with a good dynamic range (for chromes) will still be
cheaper than a prosumer digital camera. The digital cameras fall in price
every 3 months or so, while being replaced by newer models. We watched our
digital camera become obsolete overnight when the D1 came out at half the
price. But our 5 yr. old slidescanner we still use daily. I just don't see
digital as a good investment for most public institutions, unless you have
the budget to keep up with the pace.

I also looked at high end scanning backs for our studio. This was back in
1996 or so, and a one shot back cost $55,000 for the back alone, and a scan
back was just a mere $35,000. This was for a res. equal to 4x5 sheet film
more or less. It was only limited by the output options of the day. These
prices have fallen to about half that figure today. But, with a scan back,
you need to use flicker free HMI lights ($2-4K each), and an image can take
up to 15 min. to capture. With the one-shot backs, you are limited to just
one strobe exposure, a 3 shot back is also around for higher res. (one
exposure for each channel, RGB). When you already have an entire studio, you
can't justify that sort of expense.

I know you're reading this and saying "I'm not talking about that kind of
quality"...but you can still get alot more detail out of a 120 or even 35mm
piece of film, than alot of consumer digital cameras.

 I estimated that for 1700 paintings, it would take approx 17 bricks (20
rolls/brick) of chrome film. This would be 6 frames per painting (2
each:norm,+half,+one stop). That's roughly $2550 for film. Throw in another
$1000 for some lights (4 750 watt Tota Lights & stands etc.). About $500 for
a good tripod. And about another $1000 for a camera & lens. (I think
something like an F3, or an N90s would work, maybe a macro lens and a basic
zoom). So, that's about $5000, which is what a D1 would cost. E6 processing
will vary for your location, but then once the film is shot, it's not like
you have all these huge digital files to worry about. If you put the slides
in a file drawer for 10 years, they'd still be there...assuming your filing
area is okay.

For online access only, you might want to consider a digital camera that
will let you use off-camera light sources. A pc-socket at least, for off
camera flash. Once again, if you need any help we're a couple of hours east
of you.

Kent Thompson,  Photographer
North Carolina Museum of History

Email: [log in to unmask]
Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency.