Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:20:06 -0400
We have had several spam messages lately that encourage recipients to
reply to the message to be removed from the mailing list. THIS WILL NOT
WORK. All it does is send the reply to the 1400+ people on the Museum-L
discussion list.

Here's why: the original spammer sent the message to the list, using the
[log in to unmask] address. LISTSERV then made copies and sent
the message to everyone subscribed to the list. Because the list sent
the message to you, all replies will go to [log in to unmask],
which automatically sends the message on to every member of the
discussion list. You will not be able to contact the original sender by
replying to the message, regardless of what the message says. All you
will do is fill up the inboxes of everyone on the discussion list with
messages that say "remove," which I find even more annoying than spam
(if that's possible).

I don't know if there's a way to get the discussion list address removed
from the spammers' mailing lists, but I do know that replying to the
messages won't work. Please be considerate of your fellow Museum-Lers
and simply delete any spam you may get from the list. If anyone has a
better solution, please share it.

Thanks
M.