From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 06:09:11 -0800
This seems like a key opportunity to educate an intern.  These are at least
some of the lessons:
  -using his or her time to match a grant is simply what museums do -they
use every legitimate means at their disposal to total up in-kind matches,
and he'll do the same when he is developing a grant someday.
  - there is really no relationship at all between his hours and the grant
funded job you are creating  (though, presumably if he qualified (thanks in
part to this internship), he could apply).
  - his opportunities arise from other museums doing what you are doing, and
the matching hours of some other intern may be contributing to some other
grant funded jobs that may supply his next job.
  - the job you are creating with grant funding likely will create a vacancy
somewhere else, and that vacancy roles down to another vacancy, eventually
to the entry level position that the intern would qualify for as a first
job.
  - every single job we can create in the field makes it easier for him to
find employment over time.

As an aside, I remember some years ago an argument going around saying that
trained museum professionals shouldn't volunteer in museums on the
assumption that the museum would pay someone if you didn't volunteer, and so
it was "taking a job from someone else."  As the years and reality have
unfolded, that seems not to be true, and, in fact, something of the reverse.
If the museum has a great corps of volunteers they are more likely to be
successful, which leads to better likelihood of developing enough income to
develop paid position(s), which is almost always better because it is
usually more reliable, more consistent, and more malleable than a volunteer.

Lucy Sperlin
(a retired professional speaking as a volunteer and working hard to get more
paid staff!)